Dairy and non-dairy
Butter, with permitted ingredients e.g. pure butter (ingredients: cream, water, salt). For easy spread pure butter use Mainland Butter Soft. Some failsafers have recommended Harmonie organic butter from Denmark (according to Devil in the Milk, Danish milk is largely A2, so could it suit some failsafers better?) , thanks to Tane & Gill
Warning: Spreadable butter blends with permitted vegetable oils such as canola oil or sunflower oil may contain unlisted additives under the 5% labeling loophole (no olive oil, sorbates 200-203,antioxidants 310-321 listed or unlisted, natural colour annatto 160b) Check label carefully.
Warning In South Africa, Woolworths Ayrshire range of butter is annatto free, but their brick butter contains unlisted annatto 160b – thanks to Terry (please check, this information may be out of date)
Cheese, mild fresh white preservative free cheeses (no preservatives 200–203, no annatto 160b, no added flavours)
- Mascarpone cheese (no preservatives) e.g. Wattle Valley, Pantalica, Paesanella
- Neufchatel cheese is similar to cream cheese but lower fat and slightly softer than cream cheese for cooking, e.g. Kraft
Cottage cheese (no sorbate preservatives 200-203) e.g. Elgaar Farm is the only one we can find www.elgaarfarm.com.au
Cream cheese, preservative free (no sorbates 200-203), many brands, e.g. own brands, Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese in blocks or tubs which no longer contain sorbate preservatives – thanks to Jacqui and all who emailed a complaint
Cream – fresh or canned reduced fat, thickened, lite or rich (but not sour which is moderate in amines)
Crème Fraiche is the French version of sour cream but not as sour as American sour cream e.g. Wattle Valley Crème Fraiche
Clotted cream, made by heating high fat cream (45%) to a high temperature, traditionally used as a spread instead of butter on scones or bread with jam, has a delicious caramel flavor, e.g. Wattle Valley
Ice cream (Icecream, Ice-cream) – see under Freezer
Margarine – with permitted ingredients including betacarotene 160a (no sorbate preservatives 200-203, no annatto 160b) Check label carefully. e.g.
- NOT Meadow Lea margarine (Warning both Original and salt reduced Meadowlea now contain preservative 202); ingredients: vegetable oils (sunflower oil* 36%, canola oil* 21%), water, salt, skim milk powder and whey powder, emulsifiers (soyabean, lecithin, 471), food acid (citric), colour (beta-carotene), flavour, vitamins A&D, preservative 202.
- Mrs McGregors margarine, ingredients: vegetable oils, (may contain soyabean oil), water, salt, emulsifiers (soyabean, lecithin, 471), flavour, colour (160a), food acid (citric), vitamin D.
- other brands, read labels as ingredients change frequently. No sorbic acid 200 or other sorbate preservatives 201-203, artificial colours, natural colour annatto 160b,synthetic antioxidants 310-321 especially 320 which is usually used in catering packs e.g. in cafés. Beta carotene 160a is a safe natural colour.
Milk - fresh, any strength (skim to full cream), buttermilk, longlife, canned sweetened condensed milk, evaporated, powdered, A2 milk, goats milk, sheep milk
A2 milk seems to be better than regular (A1) milk for some people with food intolerance but it doesn’t necessarily help everyone, it may be better for physical problems than behavior and concentration – it is best to test effects with elimination and challenge.
Reader reviews A2 milk
• Yesterday I drank 2 glasses of A2 milk with no ill effects, this is the most dairy I have had in nearly 20 years due to the stomach ailments regular dairy causes me! – thanks to Tracey
• My daughter is doing excellently, she is so much calmer, is actually eating heaps, gaining weight and has started to talk and since being on a2 milk we have had not a single vomiting and lethargic episode. – thanks to Catherine
• We saw a big improvement in my 4 yo autistic son when we switched to A2 milk, that was what first made us realize he was affected by food and led us to the elimination diet. Then we found he improved even more on soy milk – thanks to Darani
• We did an A2 milk trial with my daughter, after day three she started crying at small things, then it escalated over the next two days to forgetfulness, minor disobedience and concentration levels were noticeably reduced and after five days we decided that she has an intolerance to both A1 and A2 milk. We could see the change from wonderfully behaved over the two weeks without any milk she had slowly started to go back to her old ways. We are now using Rice Milk – thanks to Julie
Goat milk, milk powder, yoghurt, mild cheese and ice cream are available from Caprilac.. Goat milk is mainly A2. (Yoghurt and mild cheese are not suitable for your supervised elimination diet • for people who can tolerate moderate to high amines) www.caprilac.com
- Sheep milk yoghurt and cheeses are available from Meredith Dairy and Grampians Pure Sheep Milk Dairy. Sheep’s milk is mainly A2. (Yoghurt and mild cheese are not suitable for your supervised elimination diet • for people who can tolerate moderate or high amines) www.meredithdairy.com
- Sheep milk ice cream Milk Maid Vanilla is widely available in NZ. Also available, sheep’s milk powder and various cheeses www.blueriverdairy.co.nz
Buffalo mozzarella and yoghurt is also A2 and available in Australia. See www.shawriverbuffalo.com. "We have about 400 pure breed milking buffalos, we imported 66 milking buffalo from Italy and Bulgaria in the mid 90's and have been producing since 1996, slowly building up numbers and growing our cheese market. All of our products are hand made without any added nasties and we farm without the use of pesticides and herbicides. We are a family business and 100% Australian owned." – Thea
Milk Products & Dairy Desserts with vanilla, caramel, malt or butterscotch flavours, natural colour betacarotene 160a (no artificial colours, no annatto 160b, no preservatives, no synthetic antioxidants, no fruit, coffee or chocolate flavours) e.g.
- Vanilla flavoured milk • Oak Vanilla Malt Flavoured milk (warning malt contains gluten)
- Custard, (no artificial colours tartrazine102, sunset yellow 110, no annatto 160b, beta carotene 160a is okay • Paul’s Vanilla Custard; • ALDI Brooklea Vanilla Custard (natural colour 160a betacarotene is failsafe - natural colour 160b annatto is not - read all labels as others in this range contain annatto 160b)
- Creamed rice (vanilla flavoured, free from annatto 160b colour) • ALDI Brookdale Vanilla Flavoured Creamed Rice (Milk, white rice, sugar, flavour) Reader report: The ALDI creamed rice is lovely
- Warning - Vanilla fruche now contains annatto 160b so is no longer failsafe, thanks to Lesley
Lactose free and Low Lactose dairy products for people with lactose intolerance
Lactose intolerance or lactase deficiency is an inability to digest lactose – milk sugar – due to low levels of an enzyme called lactase. Lactase levels vary and can be temporarily reduced by gastroenteritis. Symptoms can range from mild abdominal discomfort, bloating and flatulence to abdominal cramps and diarrhoea and usually occur soon after ingesting certain dairy products especially milk and yoghurt. Long term lactose intolerance is rare in Caucasians though common in others, NOT to be confused with dairy intolerance – behavioural reactions are not lactose intolerance http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Lactose_intolerance
- Lactose Free and low lactose milks, fresh or longlife (e.g. Lactaid, Harvey, Zymil) from supermarkets
- Lact-easy Drops by Pharmotech 03 9531 6667 or ordered through pharmacies
- Lacteeze Drops (NOT Lacteeze Tablets which have mint flavouring) http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Product/lacteeze.htm - thanks to Brenda & Rosemaree
Quark is a mild white European cheese sometimes described as cottage cheese but actually made from yoghurt (can be used as a spread, in cooking or in cheesecakes). You can make quark yourself, see our easy Quark recipe: http://fedup.com.au/recipes/other-recipes-and-hints/quark-how-to-make e.g.
- Barambah Organics Quark www.barambahorganics.com.au
- Elgaar Farm Organic Quark http://www.elgaarfarm.com.au/Products/Fresh%20Cheese/Organic%20Fresh%20Cheese%20Main.htm
- Biodynamic Farm Paris Creek Organic German style low fat and or Swiss style full cream, www.bdfarmpariscreek.com.au
Ricotta cheese (no preservatives) e.g. Pantalica, Paesanella, Olympus www.olympuscheese.com.au Warning ricotta is made by acidifying milk with vinegar or similar, may cause problems for the extra sensitive
The following are not suitable for your supervised elimination diet* • for people who tolerate moderate amines, annatto-free natural or vanilla yogurt, yoghurt premixes such as Easiyo, sour cream, Bocconcini cheese, e.g. Pantalica • for people who tolerate high amines (additive-free, no-added-flavours) mild yellow cheese e.g. cheddar & Swiss, mozzarella cheese, feta, additive free cheese slices • for people who tolerate high amines and some glutamates, parmesan cheese, blue cheese, soft ripe cheese such as brie and camembert
Reader review: For people who can tolerate amines and dairy, Coles Farmland cheese slices, Woolworths tasty cheese slices and ALDI Westacre Farms are additive-free but most of the other brands contain annatto 160b – thanks to Marg
Yoghurt Warning: annatto-free natural or vanilla yoghurt is okay for people who can tolerate low amines but fruit flavoured yoghurt is very high in salicylates, amines and glutamates* - Jalna A2 natural yoghurt is okay for people who can manage low amines but not the vanilla flavoured due to fruit juice sweetener - intake of vanilla flavoured yoghurts should be limited because salicylate responders need to limit vanilla intake from all sources. If the diet isn’t working for you, avoid yoghurts, see Checklist of Common Mistakes - thanks to Briony, Megan and Julie M. Note that RPAH had natural yoghurt listed as moderate but this was a mistake and has been corrected to low.
Reader Warning: unlisted additives - I have found some products seem to change their ingredients, you always have to double check. On the last yoghurts I bought I was really excited to see no 160b listed (my son is affected by annatto). But once I got it home I noticed one of the flavours was vanilla peach which rang alarm bells. I contacted the (very large) manufacturer who advised it does have 160b in it and said it must have been an error that it was not listed but then they emailed that the number should appear on the outer packaging of the multipack. I contacted them again and finally got a phone call from the manufacturer six weeks after the first enquiry saying sorry about not having 160b on the packaging and they reckon they are aware and fixing it immediately!! – thanks to Marg
Buffalo mozzarella and yoghurt is also A2 and available in Australia. See www.shawriverbuffalo.com and their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ShawRiverBuffaloCheese. "We have about 400 pure breed milking buffalos, we imported 66 milking buffalo from Italy and Bulgaria in the mid 90's and have been producing since 1996, slowly building up numbers and growing our cheese market. All of our products are hand made without any added nasties and we farm without the use of pesticides and herbicides. We are a family business and 100% Australian owned." - Thea
Darifree calcium fortified potato drink is suitable for people who have to avoid dairy products. Available as a tin of powder, see http://www.biomedcafe.com.au/index.php?process=shop/productView.php&itemId=20013
Margarine e.g. Nuttelex additive free, dairy free Original margarine, the mild flavor additive in Nuttelex is well tolerated.(No sorbates 200–203, no antioxidants 310–321, no artificial colours, no annatto 160b, no olive oil due to high salicylates) For other brands, read labels – ingredients change frequently. Colour 160a (betacarotene) is failsafe.
Oat milk e.g. Pure Harvest Pure Harvest Oat Milk (ingredients: filtered water, organic whole oats, organic sunflower oil, sea salt) (not permitted on the gluten-free version of the RPAH Elimination Diet)
Ricemilk: RPAH recommendations:
Vitasoy Protein enriched rice milk (with chickpeas)
Australia's Own Rice Milk (low fat)
So Natural Original Rice Milk
Imagine Foods Rice Dream
Soy products – avoid tamari, tempeh, soy sauce (fermented: amines, glutamates)
Soymilk – Soymilk (be careful with flavoured soymilks and unlisted antioxidants in oils. I prefer calcium enriched, these are the brands we drink: Sanitarium So Good, Sanitarium So Good Soyaccino, SoyLife Original, PureHarvest Organic Soymilk gluten-free)
**Caution**SO GOOD Soymilk with ‘fresh new taste’ now contains added ‘natural flavour’ so we asked for reader feedback: Most failsafers find they can tolerate this product but one failsafer wrote: “I was able to isolate my reaction to this product as I still had some of the earlier formulation and when I used that the symptoms eased or disappeared”. Thanks to Merryn.
Soy yoghurt (no annatto 160b) e.g. soygurt natural or vanilla www.soyganics.com.au Available at Foodland, IGA, Independent Grocers and Good Health Food Stores Australia-wide. If not available at your regular shop, ask the store manager to get it in for you.
Soylati ice cream Crème Caramel flavor Available at Foodland, IGA, Independent Grocers and Good Health Food Stores Australia-wide. If not available at your regular shop, ask the store manager to get it in for you.
Soy cream, Soy sour cream Available at Foodland, IGA, Independent Grocers and Good Health Food Stores Australia-wide. If not available at your regular shop, ask the store manager to get it in for you.
Soya spread ‘Pure’ non-dairy (in the UK) is failsafe. Ingredients: Soya Oil (45%), Water, Vegetable Oils, Salt (0.75%), Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Vegetable Fatty Acids), Vitamin E, Natural Flavouring, Vitamin A, Colour (Natural Carotenes), Vitamin D as D2, Vitamin B12. We checked and the colour is failsafe (betacarotene E160a) and there are no added antioxidants in the vegetable oils.
Soy cream cheese: Kingland now contains added sorbic acid 200 - thanks to Kerryn