I didn't know about food intolerance at first and thought my girlfriends' kids just needed a kick up the bum. Now I'm their stepfather I realise that their bad behaviour is entirely related to food. Every second weekend we have to send them off to their father to be filled up with the worst junk food and returned out of their tree. It takes a week for them to calm down then we have four good days before we have to send them back and go through it all again.
Here are some of my hints to get blokes involved:
- for a failsafe barbecue cook the steak briefly on the plate so it is rare - to prevent development of amines don't char or overcook
- use some pear and leek ketchup on the barbecue plate for flavouring
- serve with pasta or noodle salads
- serve the steak cut up into small pieces on a platter and encourage ADHD children to help themselves to as much as they want - they will eat much more like that than if confronted by a single large steak on their plate
- fathers need to be convinced to give up their tomato sauce, devon and similar foods
- you have to do the diet with the whole family, you can't expect one child to have to avoid his favourite foods when others are eating it. You can't even have it in the house.
- from the 2012 Roadshow