14 Feb 2011 Doctors are calling for mandatory warnings on teething gels after children were hospitalised with potentially life-threatening poisoning.

The authors of a study conducted by two Sydney hospitals and two New Zealand hospitals, published in the Medical Journal of Australia (Med J Aust. 2011 Feb 7;194(3):146-8) found that chronic salicylate intoxication could occur in children using over-the-counter teething gels, even at intakes close to the recommended doses. In Britain, the ingredient salicylate was removed from Bonjela teething gel after a 2002 study by the Commission on Human Medicines ... http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/teething-gel-danger-for-infants/story-fn6bm90q-1226005032121